Saturday, January 9, 2010

DREAMs

Hit by the acute economic crisis during Carlos Salinas de Gortari in Mexico and with the added pressure of a false accusation at his job, which those who know Mexico might sadly know that they often happen, my Dad was lured by “the American Dream.” My uncle knew that my Dad had a family of four to feed back home so his reaction was of course to help him come to the USA. Three years passed when my Dad realized that he had to go back to Mexico only to bring us to the USA. My older brother was 14, I was 12, and my younger brothers were 7 and 6 respectively. My little sister was born here. I went to middle school and high school, from which I graduated with honors. Deep down I was convinced I was going to work in something I did not like for the rest of my life, as my father was. However, my dad had always instilled in us that we needed to get an education. He and my Mom would always set themselves as examples of people who unfortunately could not get an education when they were young. "The world is in the hands of those who have an education," they said. I knew they were right but was not very encouraged by the situation in schools.

One day in my senior year my French teacher told me that I needed to go to college and that it was extremely important. I knew that but was ashamed of telling her I couldn't go because I was brought to the USA illegally. Even though it wasn't my fault, and I don't blame my parents either, being in that condition lowers your self-esteem and makes you want to be in the shadows. Thanks to my French teacher's insistence I received a scholarship that I could use in any university within the NC higher education system but I had to settle for a community college because I was not accepted at a four year institution. I really appreciated the opportunity and will forever thank my French teacher and my sponsor for opening a window of hope that would later make me stronger.

Not being able to transfer to a four-year college I took a decision that would impact my life permanently. I decided to go back to Mexico after ten years of never even DREAMing of going back. I thought: “I'm Mexican right? They have to accept me.” It was extremely difficult adapting to the system and everything was in Spanish. Add to that the fact that I was far away from all of my family for almost four years. It took a lot of motivation to go through college there but I finally did it. I got my Visa once in Mexico and can now visit as many times as I want. While at work in Mexico (I teach English at a high school and college) my boss posted an announcement for a scholarship to the USA. It was an MA in Applied Linguistics at a University in Georgia. I didn't even hesitate and applied for the opportunity. The process was expensive and drawn out as I had to go to Mexico City a couple of times, pay for a couple of very expensive exams and go through all the things that someone goes through when they apply to a college in the USA. It was all worth it in the end and I was accepted. I am basically now being paid to do my Master's Degree in a city that I love, Atlanta, close to my family.

The point being, never give up your DREAMs. Don't settle for less whether you are in the USA or elsewhere and do what you have to do. I strongly support the DREAM Act so that students who have been in my position don't go through all the difficulties that I had to go through and so that they are allowed to go to college paying in-state tuition if they graduate from an American high school in good standing. It is a great adventure but why do it when you DESERVE an education at your new home, the USA. These students are not looking for handouts from the government. They want nothing free. They just want an opportunity to fight for their aspirations and for their future as any other human being would.

--------------------------------

By CIR_DREAM2009 - 150 AP
Edited: 28 February 2009

Approximately 2.8 million students will graduate from US High Schools every year. Some will go on to college; others will join the military or take another path in life. But they will get the opportunity to test their dreams and live their American story. However, a group of about 65,000 students a year will not have this opportunity because they bear the inherited title of undocumented immigrant. These highly motivated individuals have lived in the United States all their lives and want nothing more than to be given the chance to become Americans.

The DREAM Act ‒ introduced by Senator Richard Durbin of Illinois and Rep. Howard Berman of California ‒ can solve this growing problem. Under the rigorous provisions of the DREAM Act, undocumented young people could be eligible for a conditional path to citizenship in exchange for completion of a college degree or two years of military service. Undocumented young people must also demonstrate good moral character to be eligible for and stay in conditional residency. At the end of the process, the young person can finally become an American citizen. The DREAM Act Portal hopes to turn this dream into a reality.

Source- http://dreamact.info/

--------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment